Sunday, January 3, 2016

First finish of the year!

Happy New Year!  I have decided to keep a blog just for my quilting and sewing projects so they don't take up the family blog. :)  Here is the first finish of the year.  I could have sworn I have done a rag quilt before, but turns out after 25 plus years of sewing that I have NEVER made one!!!   This was a first.  I gave this to Nella for her birthday in December, but it wasn't finished.  (yes, I wrapped an unfinished project just so she had something to unwrap on her birthday. :)  Then I took it back and finished it)  

My machine broke when I thought I was finished with this blanket.  As I was cutting the edges, I discovered that the tension on the whole blanket was so loose that I could see through the stitches if i pulled gently.  That was super disappointing, so I borrowed my mom's old Singer (the one I learned how to sew on when I was a girl) and attempted to fix it.  


Finally - its done!  And as far as I can see, all of the seams are together with no tension issues. :)   I absolutely LOVE the fabric in this - the black and white animals with colorful eyes - almost hypnotic. :)  I should have bought more but wasn't thinking at the time.  


Lots of firsts with this one - First blanket with flannel, first rag style quilt, first project in 25 years that was completed on that Singer, and first time using my camera also this year. :) 

Here is to a year of many more firsts and many more projects!!!  :)

~ Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment